Skip to main content
CLEAN SMALL BATCH NATURAL SKIN CARE SOLUTIONS BEE23 Natural Beauty produces all-natural balms and blends that work for sensitive, dry, damaged and maturing skincare free from synthetic chemical additives, fragrance, parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals and fillers. Plump, smooth and soothe skin naturally!


5 'Must Know' Points on your Beauty Compass!
 


I have finally compiled the 5 point list that all my customers have asked for as a starting place to build our beauty regimen for best results. If you would like to cut through my generally lengthy prelude of what I view as philosophical and prophetic and get to the guts of My Golden Rules for your Best Beauty Self, then go to the list below!

It's that time...again. The turning of the seasons for our beauty regimens can feel both like a blessing and a curse. Seasonal changes often mean changes in our skin. We also rejoice in yet more time to play amidst mother nature's pleasures and yet another year that we pass our mirrors knowing that with the accumulated wisdom comes a small pang of acknowledgement in our own aging. I'm just being truthful.

The women I look to for guidance in life are those that seem to be fully beyond such concerns of vanity. This is a constant reminder that when we live within our passion, such attachments to the material and physical dissipate as it is the movement within our passion that drives our days and not the concern over how this path paints our skin and bodies.

It is also notable to mention here, that I have been doing demos and talking to women of all demographics for a solid amount of years in regards to choosing educated natural alternatives in beauty management and more specifically because it is what I have created for myself, my own product line. In that time I can tell you without doubt, a woman that is living within this place of drive appears younger, her skin glows and the light seems to permeate from under the dermis layer.

With this said, there would not be an industry for beauty without those of us who do wonder even incrementally how to keep our skin younger or clearer longer. I am continually asked what I do for my skin. Quite simply I have only used my Hotty Balm for moisturizing and protection and I follow the list of the 5 must do's based on observations I have made. These are the tasks that I give each customer upon purchase of our BEE23 Natural Beauty product line.

The List of 5 Golden Rules for your Best Beauty Self

1. No ingredient list, walk away. If there is no label that includes an ingredient list on your product put it down and walk away, regardless of price, brand and marketing suave.

2. If there is a label, then know your ingredients. The ingredients on your label should be legible. There should be an INCI code for each ingredient. This is a system of names for cosmetics and chemicals and waxes and oils and other ingredients of soaps on the basis of scientific names and other Latin and English words. In regards to body care you are able to purchase products that all have legible INCI codes. This looks like:

Common Name: Atlas Cedarwood Oil Cedrus       ICNI Code: Atlantica (Cedarwood) Bark Oil
Common Name: Shea Butter, Natural                     ICNI Code: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)

Often there will be several ICNI codes that are not immediately understandable. For example:

INGREDIENTS: Aqua/Water/Eau, Decyl Glucoside (mild plant derived cleanser), Sodium Citrate (natural water softener), Cellulose Gum (natural anti redeposition agent), Magnesium Nitrate (natural mineral), Magnesium Chloride (natural mineral), Sodium Chloride (table salt-viscosity enhancer), Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (preservative-maintain product freshness and prevents bacteria growth)

When there are any words that you do not understand in an ingredient list you must take a moment to do a little homework by writing the ingredient into your internet search engine. You want to know what it does in the formula, what the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is and the risk level of use to humans. This is the only way you can make an informed choice and decide whether it is required in your daily body care regimen.

3. Stick to the basics. We are always looking for the next quick fix but as in all good things, skin care takes a little homework and small constant tasks.

After meeting individuals globally from all walks of life and discussing skin even in light of genetic predisposition, it would appear that it is those who have stuck to a basic beauty regimen that have the best skin later on in life. Arguments are allowed here. I am only reporting what I have compiled through observation and conversation over what is almost half an average human life. There will always be articles about the merit of a particular synthetic chemical in minimal use or a new nanotechnology and stem cell repair as the next miracle for youthful skin but guess what!? At this point in time, it would appear that simple still is best and I know skin. I have seen a lot of it, as terrible as that sounds!

Use simple natural soap bars definitely without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) or no soap and solely water for facial cleansing. Quality natural products using ingredients such as Olive Oil and Vitamin E for protection and moisturizing. No harsh toners or cleansers. No ingredients that cannot be readily understood. Minimal use of Make-Up to no Make-Up. No smoking. Minimal alcohol consumption. Good food. An active lifestyle and lots of water. Do not shoot the messenger! I am only relaying what I have been told and experienced.

My best cleanser exfoliant ever:

1 tablespoon of powdered Oatmeal (use a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle to grind until fine)
1 tablespoon unpasteurized Honey
1 teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (more or less based on preference of texture) or Witch Hazel
Mix up in a bowl and use it as an exfoliating cleanser or leave on as a facial mask. Wash off with warm water immediately or leave on for 2 to 5 minutes. 


This is the best cleanser I have used since my early 20s and I am turning 40 this year. Mostly because I'm not very creative when it comes to my beauty care but also because it works. It makes my skin glow and feel amazing.

DO NOT use harsh large sugars, coffee grinds or granules on your facial skin. It will cause micro tears and enlarge pores. I have found this out through my own trial and error of exploring what is out there and now know it is a no-no. Oatmeal is soft and will exfoliate just enough, while the honey is amazing as a cleansing agent and the apple cider vinegar is a natural toner. Not fancy but it works!

4. Steam. The pollution that falls from our urban sky can take the paint off vehicles. Not only that but for individuals with oily skin issues, it is necessary to steam for good facial skin results. A simple do it yourself article done well on the benefits of steaming can be found at the Beauty Ebook. I will include the link below on How To Steam Your Face.

I have observed a noticeable difference in the facial skin of those living rurally to those who live within everyday pollutants of the city. Pollution is hard on the skin and therefore I will continue to spout, "Good environmental policies makes a beautiful me and you!"

There is so much research that could be included here but I really liked the article 'Quick Tips: 5 Ways to Protect Your Skin from Pollution.'


"If you live in a developed country, you can't completely avoid pollution, but there are ways to minimize its effects. Overexposure to UV radiation can cause wrinkles and even skin cancer. A good moisturizer hydrates the skin and creates a barrier between your skin and free radicals and other pollutants." [Sarah Siddons and Brion O'Connor, Quick Tips: 5 Ways to Protect Your Skin from Pollution]

Individuals living in an urban setting suffering from sensitive skin issues have had great results using our Hotty Balm Mature to Dry or Hotty Balm Normal to Oily. I use my Hotty Balm everyday with this in mind. With all of the misinformation in regards to beauty care, I have no qualms sharing what I have seen to work. We can move towards scientifically understanding why Beeswax and Vitamin E are beneficial but in the interim I will continue to use such products because I can see that they do work.

5. Reduce sun exposure. This is difficult to say the least. I am outside all the time. Cover when you can with a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses. Sun screen may also be a challenge. I do not use traditional brands at all due to their ingredients. There are some very good current brands offering natural alternatives for sun screen. You will have to find the one that fits you based on texture and performance.

So that is everything summed up in a five point list. I will continue to deconstruct each into small blog entries that will hopefully be helpful in our hunt for eternal youth and longevity or at least grace and enjoyment in our adventure. Keep it natural and keep it hot! 



Main Resources

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dry Brushing + the Lymphatic System

Two occasions inspired this need to communicate. First, a recent visit to the Korean Family Sauna with the purchase of one Full Body Scrub. Second, a swollen node along my son’s jawline that cleared up with focused massage, along with removing an infected nose piercing! What do these situations have in common you may ask? The lymphatic system. The lymphatic system acts like a sewer system in our body, removing any toxins, waste, and unwanted materials from organs, tissues and cells. It has a role in our immunity, maintaining bodily fluids, absorbing fats in the digestive tract, and detoxifying the body. Lymph nodes are storage sites for cells along the lymphatic system. There are hundreds of these nodes throughout the body. Predominant lymph nodes are in the neck, groin, or axillary regions. The catch is that the lymphatic system has no pump and relies on muscle activity and exercise for the lymph to circulate. Signs of a congested lymphatic system include lethargy, tiredness, hea

Herbal Helpers for the Eclipse Season

Plants are magic. I sit back in awe when, yet another serendipitous event happens to teach me when I do not realize there is a lesson to be had. Once the knowledge is acquired, it is a feeling filled with 'of course this is the way it is.' The eclipse season is heavy upon us, and I do not think we discuss this in our daily lives enough. I put together a list of herbs that may be fabulous helpers for you during this time and beyond, spurred on by a recent experience with Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). I was putting together my tea for the day and this plant felt like it was hopping up and down in the back of my shelf, like ‘pick me, pick me!’ I had not used Mugwort in quite some time and I thought it was interesting to be called to it. I have focused much of my relationship with plants over the years around scientific study supported by traditional teachings.  Seeking out the study behind what women like my grandmother simply knew to be true, has been my modus operandi. It

8 Reasons Why You Need Iodine!

I wanted to share an experience I had the other week that lead me to do a whole lot more reading on iodine. During a gym visit I was massaging the Lymphatic Body Oil into my neck after my steam, and I noticed how painful from my ear to my throat was, along with swelling in my thyroid on the right side. That same week prior to this discovery, I had decided to get an iodine liquid supplement and it arrived one day after I noticed this inflammation. I began taking the iodine supplement once a day and within 72 hours my neck had no pain, and my thyroid was completely back to normal. This prompted me to take a deeper dive into understanding iodine and how it functions in our body. 8 Reasons Why You Need Iodine Iodine is a trace mineral, and we need it in very tiny amounts, but it has huge impact on the functioning of our bodies. Babies need 90 mg of iodine, while adolescents and adults need 150 mg, with pregnant women needing 220 mg and breastfeeding women requiring 270 mg. It would appea